Friday, February 27, 2009

Pigeon Story

OK, driving home from work yesterday I took the old route that I used to take home and as I approached the first light on the feeder road, a car a head of me sped up to catch the light and as they went through it I saw a poof of feathers... I knew immediately what happened, the car had hit a bird. I've seen it before, I think I've even hit one on the Toll road, but this time I had to slowly roll up to the intersection and sit there while this poor thing flopped and bobbed around on the pavement. It was a sad scene. The other birds in his group flew down and looked to be encouraging him to "get up!", or "fly, dude, fly!!" They took turns, dodging other cars moving through the intersection to go down near the injured bird, but none of them could help. They all then flew up and sat on the light pole and watched. All the cars around seemed to see it and avoid it.

Then I thought of the Seinfeld episode with George and the Pigeons...

Jerry Seinfeld: You ran over some pigeons? How many?
George Costanza: Whatever they had.

George Costanza: Miranda thinks I'm a butcher, but - it's not my fault, is it? Don't we have a deal with the pigeons?
Jerry Seinfeld: Of course we have a deal: They get out of the way of our cars; we look the other way on the statue defecations.

Seinfeld episodes always make me laugh.

I hope the pigeon had a good life and is now some place special!

1 comment:

Lynanne said...

Oh...poor bird! My boss once told me that hit a cardinal and saw its mate standing by the side of the road sadly watching it. To make matters worse, his wife reminded him that they mate for life.

I just try to remind myself that cars are one of bird's few remaining predators and without them, the population would explode and they'd starve. Does it make me feel better when I hit one? Not really. :(